Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Plentiful Produce

It's that time of year again. The time when every visit to my parents' house ends with me bringing home surplus veggies from my dad's quarter acre garden. In the spring, it's Asparagus. Summer usually brings melons, sweet corn, and green beans. I'm not complaining. I love the farm fresh goodies. The only thing is, that you never quite know what you're going to get. My most recent trip resulted in new potatoes and quite possibly the prettiest head of cabbage I've ever seen. They looked so perfect I just had to take a picture.


Now, I have a small garden myself. Before I left town for my long weekend I picked all the fully grown cucumbers and zucchini I had to give to my dad. I thought it was a good trade. Besides there were a couple of little zucchs still left for me when I get back.

Then last night I went out to check on my little garden. This is what I found.

Actually, there were 8 in total. I gave one to the neighbor before I lugged these back to the house. Good thing too, I could barely manage the 7 in one trip. Each one was as long as my size 9 Chuck Taylor's or longer. Three of the zucchini combined weighed about 7 pounds. I'm currently making plans for zucchini bread and I see vegetarian lasagna in my future.


But wait, there's more! Did I mention the green beans? Those with Dad's potatoes and some ham.......YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!



You gotta love Summer!

No comments: