Monday, November 12, 2007

The Story Behind the Image - Rainstorm at the Colosseum


This was probably my favorite image taken in Rome. It rained everyday in Rome. Often the rainstorms were quick showers that didn't last long. Eventually, I came to welcome the rain as a break from the blazing sun and heat. This particular day was extremely hot. I had wandered through the Roman Forum saving the Colosseum for the later afternoon. I awestruck at he magnitude of the building. To think that something like this could be built at the time it was constructed.
I was trying to imagine how in the world the center of the arena could be flooded for naval battles, when I looked up and saw the dark clouds looming. Within a few minutes it began to rain. No, rain would be an understatement. It stormed. It even hailed.
Like many others I ducked into one of the many archways to ride out the storm. It was amazing watching the storm pass over the structure. It was almost as if Mother Nature was trying to say, "Ha! You think man can accomplish great things, well let me remind you of what I can do." I was one of many huddled into the niches for shelter, but it was a solitary experience.
The storm last about 20 minutes or so. Eventually the rain slowed to a gentle shower. I stepped out of my archway and saw this man standing with the umbrella. He seemd to be uneffected by the rain.

I don't know. I guess I love this image because it's quiet, which seems odd to say considering it happened during a storm. But for me its a very solitary image which I guess reminds me of that experience of getting caught in the Colesseum in a hailstorm.

No comments: