Friday, October 29, 2010

Here we go again

A week ago Wednesday was just like any other fall evening around the Heis house. Before the sun set, Bianka and I took some time to play in the back yard.

fall evening play
We had a great time. We played fetch for a while.

Bianka rolled.


blog3

And rolled....


blog2

... and shook. She was living it up, until....

Actually, I'm not sure what exactly happened. All I know is that all of a sudden was acting "off." I'd seen this behavior before and I was pretty sure I knew what the outcome was going to be. Bianka had injured her back....again. You may remember I just went through this last Thanksgiving.

I was hoping I was wrong with my prediction, but after another sleepless night monitoring and worrying about the little dog. I found myself driving at dawn to the emergency veterinary hospital.

The surgeon confirmed that she had ruptured another disc. This time higher up toward the mid-back. This is apparently a more common location than her previous injury. When I had left my house she could still walk. When vet finally saw her, she'd lost most of the function in her legs. Paralysis was setting in.

One saving grace of having just gone through this, was that this time I knew what to expect in terms of the procedure and the recovery. Although, as I have learned the location of this injury put more pressure on the spinal cord, and recover will take longer.

vet's office

Even though I wasn't nearly as scared to leave her, it is never easy having to say goodbye to this little face.

She was at the hospital for almost a week. Now she's home and we're starting recovery. I'll keep you posted on how that is going.

No comments: