Friday, January 25, 2013

25/365

Twice this week I've been reminded of this event from last year.


I've heard of murmuration, but I've thought it was only associated with starling.  Last January while I was on my way to St. Louis I witnessed this strange event. 

IMG_7291

The birds appeared to be some sort of water fowl.  We saw them sort of swarm near a creek.


IMG_7286

Then they would break off in sections and cross the highway.


IMG_7294


Then they would birds would break up into small groups. Some of the groups would head back to the creek.  While the rest thinned out into v-shaped strains.


IMG_7298


IMG_7300


Eventually they all took a v-formation and headed southeast.

IMG_7306

They streaked and floated across the sky in such a way that they reminded me of ink swirling through a glass of water.



No comments: